AS THE COMMUNITY’S COLLEGE, there’s nothing more important to Eastern Iowa Community Colleges (EICC) than making a difference in the communities we serve. During the year, we try to do that in a number of ways, from training the next generation of healthcare workers to offering seamless transfer opportunities to providing education and training for more than 200 local employers, just to name a few.
But in April we get to do something really special, something we look forward to all year long.
Celebrate Community College Month!
Yes, April is community college month and it’s the perfect time of year to celebrate all Eastern Iowa Community Colleges has to offer. We can think of no better way to do that than inviting you to attend a class free of charge. It’s just our way of thanking the community for your support, and to introduce you to the many great classes we have available.
“Community College Month is a great time to connect with EICC,” said Paula Arends, Director of Workforce Innovation. “Throughout the entire month of April, we will offer an opportunity for our community to learn, be entertained, and possibly plant a seed for future career or life goals.”
Classes will be offered online at Clinton, Muscatine and Scott Community Colleges, as well as at Scott’s Urban Campus. They will be Live Online courses, meaning you get to interact with your instructor and classmates face-to-face over Zoom.
“Due to COVID-19, EICC is taking precautions to keep our staff, students, and communities healthy. This year’s Community College Month offerings are all being offered virtually. All you need is a computer, internet access, and an email, and you can take advantage of as many sessions as you wish!” Arends said.
A wide range of classes are scheduled, with a number of times available. Each session will run anywhere from one hour to 90 minutes long. Whether you’re interested in improving a skill or just want to explore something new, we have a class sure to spark your interest and curiosity! Did we mention they’re all free?
A sampling of free classes includes:
- Information Technology
- Augmented and Virtual Reality
- Strengths Finder
- Vet Tech
- Culinary Arts
- Maintaining your Vehicle
- Small Business Development
- Administrative Assisting
- Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning
- Plus many more!
To learn more and view a full list of free classes, visit eicc.edu/freeclasses
You can also browse through all of our excellent Continuing Education offerings at eicc.edu/ce
Did you know?
The important role community colleges play in our country goes far beyond what many realize. Here are a few interesting facts about community colleges and the work we do. Public community colleges:
- Provide higher education to students with the fewest resources and the greatest obstacles.
- Are the most in-demand institutions during and following times of economic recession.
- Are primary educators/certifiers of in-demand nursing and other healthcare professionals.
- Are there for their communities in times of crisis.
- Community colleges are committed to meeting their communities’ basic needs, including access to food, housing, transportation, childcare and other services while students seek education and vital workforce training.
- Serve the most demographically and socioeconomically diverse students.
- Offer the most affordable high-quality higher educations.
- Guarantee fair admissions for all students.
- Make higher education that would be unattainable for many students accessible to all students.
– Association of Community College Trustees, 2020